Sunday, September 16, 2012

10 Tips on How to Cloth Diaper Your Baby

10 Tips on How to Cloth Diaper Your Baby


Seven plus years ago as a newly pregnant mom, I had dreams of a healthy pregnancy, baby, and of saving the planet along the way.NOT in a crazy hard core way, but I wanted to continue my work in being a good steward of the earth, paving the way for other families one idea at a time.Doing this with a new baby can seem daunting, but I took each step calmly and slowly and began with cloth diapering within hours of my daughter's birth.Cloth Diaper Supplies to Have on Hand before Birth..• Two dozen cloth diapers of your choice (prefolds are really my all-time favorite and easiest on time).• One dozen cloth diaper covers of your choice (I prefer soft merino wool covers with Velcro tabs and a few fleece elastic leg/waist covers for around the house, along with a few Whisper Wraps for being outside the home).• Two sets of Snappi's. these are snazzy little gadgets that replace the crazy idea of using pins to hold those prefolds in place.They will become one of your new favorite things.• Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm.• Cornstarch (to help in keeping dry your baby's bum).• Four dozen soft organic cotton or flannel wipes, average 6"x6" with serged edges. these work great for wiping noses, creases, bums, catching breast milk, getting under baby's chin and any other quick and gentle clean up you can think of.• A small bottle of olive oil (a few ounces will do) to apply to baby's bottom after birth. this will aide in wiping off of the first tarry meconium poop your baby has.Believe me on this one.• A simple and small garbage pail with a lid for tossing in the dirty diapers for laundering.• A biodegradable and scent free laundry detergent recommended for laundering diapers such as Bio-Kleen products with grapefruit extract. BUT, keep in mind, laundry is laundry and use whatever biodegradable and non- toxic detergent you prefer.• Do have on hand one package of disposable diapers of your choice and here's why. someone will give them to you as a shower gift or new baby gift and they may not be the brand of your choice.There are chlorine and chemical free disposable diapers out there. Seventh Generation, GDiapers (these are flushable), and Nature Baby Care are the three I have used and trust.You will want them on hand for last minute outings, to stash a few in the car, etc.Then, you can return the ones purchased for you and use the store credit for other necessities of your choosing.Ever heard of a cloth diaper delivery service?Here's the real truth.A cloth diaper delivery service is where it's at.I found a great site that will help you find a service in your area. www.Realdiaperassociation.Org.This, my friends, was a Life Saver.It allowed me to follow my environmental desire to cloth diaper, was better for my babies and was an economic dream compared to a purchase of a lifetime supply of diapers and covers.My husband was excited because we didn't have to launder them.Not even a rinse, just take off the babe and insert into provided pail! We utilized the cloth diaper delivery service for three months with baby #1 and six months with baby #2, and frankly, the only reason I stopped was because 75% of the cloth diapers and covers I needed were borrowed or given to me so I no longer had a cost associated with cloth diapering.

10 Tips on How to Cloth Diaper Your Baby



No comments:

Post a Comment